Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Variety of Sports at Elmhurst

Fun Fact! Elmhurst College is on Wikipedia!

It's not really much, but it's there. Elmhurst College

So, the reason I found this out was because of a post about the lack of a swim team on campus. Thanks to ECCB-Christina for mentioning it. I heard that Goebel Hall used to be our gym and that it had a swimming pool. I've been in Goebel Hall a few times while I was here, and I'm not sure where that would have been at. I wonder why we opted to skip the swimming pool when we opened up Faganel Hall. Over J-term we had a free pass to the YMCA because Faganel Hall was closed. We received access to the swimming pool. I'm curious as to why we don't get that access anyway. I'm not sure that we ever had a swim team, and I cannot find that information on the internet. But, I don't see why that shouldn't be available. Maybe the college could work something out with the YMCA. I would think that there are plenty of people who don't want to run, but would rather swim instead. It's a good way to build endurance and keep in shape and helps vary the old excercise routine for some people.

This led me to wonder about how many other sports are being avoided on our campus and how many people wish they were here so that they could still play.

Sports that we have:

M&W Tennis
M Wrestling
M&W Track & Field
M&W Cross Country
W Softball
M Baseball
M Football
M&W Basketball
M&W Soccer
W Cheerleading
W Golf
W Bowling
W Volleyball

Out of this list I realize that, we don't have Men's Bowling, only women's. How do we feel about that? I wonder how many guys would like a piece of the bowling pie. I know a lot of my friends back home were in a bowling league, and they were male.

What other sports don't we have here?

3 comments:

JuiceBox said...

That is interesting. We do not have that many sports here at Elmhurst. In fact we had more options in Athletics at my high school.

ivonne said...

I never really thought of that. This is a good point to bring up to the administration. If you really want to opt for a new team maybe you should think about starting a petition. I would sign it!!!!

ECCB-Christina said...

I would definitely sign a petition too! I would think that there could be some way for the school to work it out with YMCA so that they could maybe pay an annual fee or something so that all E.C. students could have access to the pool there. Also, I guess that there was a swim club that existed at Elmhurst up until this fall; I contacted the person in charge of it about a year ago because I was interested and she said that last year was their last year of it. I think they actually went to the Y or Courts Plus to swim, I can't remember which one. But I know plenty of people that would join a Swim Club if Elmhurst provided one, so I don't understand why they took it away :/